Birth Certificate is an important document for newborn babies in the present scenario. This document proves that you were born in India and a citizen of it. It is used for taking admission to Schools, applying for a fresh passport, and many more.
The government of Maharashtra has provided a good facility to register your births online. For a particular district, the govt has provided a different website to avoid confusion towards applying for the certificate. For Mumbai, the govt had launched a website, where you can register your birth online in a smooth and streamlined manner.
The Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) has established Citizen Facilitation Centers (CFC) in 24 wards. The MCGM is the authoring body to take care of these certificates.
Procedure in Applying for Birth Certificate Offline:
Note: Birth Certificate should be made within 21 days of birth. If delayed, then pay the challan with an affidavit from the local court to be submitted in the CFC.
1. Go to the Citizen Facilitation Center in your area.
2. Ask for the Birth Certificate Form. Fill the form with all the correct details.
3. Documents Required:
> Discharge Certificate from The Hospital. (If birth is registered with 21 days of birth).
> Local Address proof of Parents
> If birth registered after 3 months of birth, pay the challan for it.
> If the birth is registered after a year of Birth, pay the challan, affidavit to be made from the local court.
> If the birth was done at home, then take a slip from the Chowkidar of your area by registering the birth in his register.
4. Duly sign the application form and attach the above-mentioned documents.
5. The CFC agent will fill the form online in the computer with the necessary documents attached and collects the fees for the certificate.
6. The CFC agent will provide you the certificate with the fee receipt of the certificate.
Fees Structure for the Birth Certificate:
> Service Charge: 25/-
> Additional Copy: 5/-
> Total fee for Birth Certificate: 30/-
Procedure to Apply For Birth Certificate Online:
Note: Before applying for the Birth Certificate online, the name of the baby should be registered in the government records. For Example: If birth is done in the hospital, the hospital employee will send the details to the local authoring bodies, where they will register your birth details. The hospital provides you the Discharge Certificate, which contains the Registration Number.
1. Click the following URL: http://www.mcgm.gov.in/irj/portal/anonymous/qlbirthcertificate
2. You will be redirected to the following screen:
3. Enter your registration number (given by the hospital) or you can search by entering your details.
4. Click the Search button. It searches for the data in the records, if the data is correct, it redirects you to the Birth certificate online form. Fill the form online and attach the soft copy of the documents as mentioned above.
5. Pay your fee and take the acknowledgment receipt. After a week of time, you can check your details by visiting the CFC office to collect your Birth Certificate.
Procedure to Change the name in Birth Certificate:
1. Approach the nearest Notary office and explain the concern for change of name in Birth Certificate and make an affidavit.
2. Publish the name change into reputed newspapers (One Local newspaper where you are residing and One in a newspaper in the area permanent address)
Template for Newspaper Publication:
Here is the template for name change:
Sri ___________________ (old name) have changed my name from __________________ (old name) to ______________ (new name) by affidavit sworn before the Notary Public, ______________ (place) on ___________ (date). Henceforth, I shall be known as _________________ (New Name) for all purposes. ______________ (Name) and _______________ (Complete postal address).
3. After publishing in the newspaper, submit the hard and scanned copies of the documents while applying the change of name in the certificate.
4. For publishing your name in the Official Gazette of your state, visit your local Government Press or the department that mobilizes Gazette notification.
5. Ask for two copies of the Deed Changing Surname Form. Fill the form with all the correct details.
6. You can introduce yourself to a person of that department who can help you for Gazette Notification.
7. Which and Where to send your Documents:
> A letter to Secretary stating the name change.
> Deed Changing form
> News Paper Copies where the name change is published.
> A declaration was given by you as given in the newspaper in the plain paper.
> Identity Proof (Xerox Copy)
8. Submit all the documents to Secretary, Department of Commerce & Transport (Commerce) Maharashtra Mahapalika Marg, Fort Mumbai,.